Friday 30 July 2010

Made with Love

Right after we arrived in HCMC, I saw an ad (in a wonderful local magazine, The Word) for this amazing organization called Mekong Quilts. The group, previously called "Vietnam Quilts was founded in 2001 and is an income generation project that offers income and employment for rural women which enable these women to remain in their communities and care for their children and families". Amazing, right?

Both my mother and Erik's mother are quilters and my daughters come from several generations of quilters. (and yes, the buck stopped here.) I am very aware and appreciative of the time, effort and love poured into quilts. And as we embark on this global adventure, I am mindful to purchase locally-made, handmade and unique treasures for both girls as mementos of their journey.


I bought the letter quilt to hang in Amelia's room and the fruit quilt to hang in Alli's room. And I know that the girls won't have many clear memories of their time in Vietnam, so I am hopeful that items, like these quilts, along with photographs and stories are enough to spark their interest in learning more about this beautiful country.

1 comment:

  1. just discovered your blog and I'm excited as I would love to learn more about Vietnam w kids! and i ADORE these quilts. They are gorgeous, what beautiful keepsakes. I'm a candidate hoping for an A100 offer soon. I am linking to you!

    ReplyDelete