Monday 27 February 2012

Faces

Erik and I have been lucky enough to visit several orphanages over the course of our tour in Vietnam and we have been fortunate enough to hand over gently used clothing and toys from our family to babies and children who truly have nothing. Each experience is humbling to say the least.

Up until now, we have spent most of our time with babies and toddlers, but this past Saturday we visited a home (by far the poorest we have seen) to 30 children ranging from ages 5-15 with the exception of two toddler girls.

I don't normally take my camera with me, because I want to focus my time and energy on cuddling and loving on these children. This time, something made me grab the camera before I left, and I am so thankful I did. Most of the children do not have any photos of themselves, so they were thrilled to let me take their picture, only because they wanted to then immediately see the digital image. It was the most interaction I have had with Vietnamese children and it was a really special morning.

I haven't written before about our time spent with the orphans in Vietnam, because I am not sure what to say or write. It is always as rewarding as it is heart-breaking. But I wanted to write this entry and share some photos. For you, but also for me. These special souls are part of my memories that I will never forget from this tour.

4 comments:

  1. Make sure to print copies to give to them. It will mean the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - did that last trip - doing it again this time - thanks!

      Delete
  2. TR - these are gorgeous portraits. You are so talented...at so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I am now "Unknown". This is TB

      Delete