Monday 24 October 2011

Gentlemen's Game

Alli's beloved teacher, Helen, invited Erik and I along with her Kiwi friends to watch the Rugby World Cup yesterday to a new (to Saigon) Australian chain restaurant called Hog's Breath. It was quite reminiscent of watching the NFL, so it was really fun, except that I know nothing about rugby, so I couldn't call out anything or swear - I was quite civilized actually, which is fitting, because rugby, it turns out, is also quite civilized. Helen has taught her class the NZ All Blacks cheers, so I knew who to cheer for, and it was thrilling for the NZ fans, as the All Blacks went on to beat France and take home the cup for the first time in 24 years. Thank God because this was poor Helen in the final minutes of the game - we thought she was going to pass out!!!I learned a lot about the game of rugby and more about the traditions of New Zealand. Like the traditional Maori dance called the Haka. And most importantly, OHMYGAWD rugby players may be some of the finest looking athletes I have ever seen. I may have drooled once or twice. Maybe. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I've been staring at that last picture for about five minutes. Wow, muscles. Wow.

    I'm gonna have to start watching rugby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was studying abroad in Australia in college I was in a bar when the Samoan rugby team walked in - those were some VERY wide (and short) men!

    ReplyDelete