Wednesday 6 April 2011

Bangkok, aka the land of Happy

Making me happy in Bangkok?





  • Sleepy, sweet beings.


  • Window shopping & real-live shopping

  • Bangkok is known for having a wonderful street-food culture, and this woman made the best fried rice with egg I have ever tasted. I almost kissed her on the mouth.



  • One word - Boots.

  • The mixologists at Hyde & Seek.


I have linked to Hyde & Seek here because it was one of the best meals with amazing cocktails and awesome atmosphere. It was close to our hotel, although a tad pricey, so I only went once, but if you visit Bangkok, this is a special treat. My cocktail was called Bucket of Berries and was made of Raspberry Vodka, strawberries, black currants, mint and wild berry tea mix. You can keep your full disclosure, I am not going to tell you how many I had.



  • This woman and her Thai tea cart. Every day, sometimes twice a day.









  • Even the cellphone service is happy.









  • Also feeling the Thai love? Ronald himself.








Apparently a year away from the modern world of fast food has had an impact. I was never a huge fast food person, but I wasn't tempted while in Bangkok by McDonald's, Starbucks or Krispy Kreme at all. Mostly because there were so many other delicious options.



  • This one fast food joint had the BEST name ever.





  • Speaking of delicious options, the cupcake craze was alive and well in Bangkok.

  • Happy = BNS

BNS is the Thai equivalent of Staples, B&N and Hallmark, all rolled into one -it is, in my mind, the holy trinity of shopping. For the record, I bought four or five new pens (at 50cents a pop) and only three new books. I was incredibly well-behaved. But if I ever go missing, I am most likely at the BNS at Central World Mall in Bangkok. Thankfully, Gwen loves BNS as much as I do. We seriously spent h.o.u.r.s there. Pure bliss.....






  • I have never, EVER seen shopping malls like the ones in Bangkok. But I was more impressed with the modern, fully-stocked grocery stores. Strange what living in the third world does to you...






I heart you Bangkok - thank you for an amazing vacation.

2 comments:

  1. Oh looks like you had a great time! Makes me want to go to Thailand!

    ReplyDelete